To first understand Brighton MI opioid addiction, you must first understand what opioids are. The term opioid refers to any drug or chemical that attaches (like a key fits into a lock) to sites in the brain called opioid receptors. The human body makes its own opioids (called endorphins) but the opioids we are concerned with when we talk about opioid addiction are those that are manufactured in a laboratory or made by plants. For instance, morphine and codeine are found in the extract (the opium) of seeds from the poppy plant, and this opium is processed into heroin. Most prescription painkillers like oxycodone, hydrocodone, and hydromorphone are synthesized in the laboratory. When a person becomes dependent upon these drugs, they need opioid addiction treatment.
What are Common Types of Opioids Brighton MI?
Opioids may be prescribed legally by doctors (for pain, cough suppression or opioid dependence) or they may be taken illegally for their mood-altering effects–euphoria, sedation, “to feel better”, or for some, opioids are taken “just to feel normal”. Not everyone who takes an opioid is at risk for dependence requiring opioid addiction treatment, but these drugs are commonly abused.
Examples of prescribed medications that sometimes lead to opioid addiction, but that can also help patients battle other types of substance abuse include:
- Codeine–the opioid in Tylenol #3, Fiorinal or Fiorecet #3, and in some cough syrups.
- Hydrocodone–the opioid in Vicodin, Lortab, and Lorcet.
- Oxycodone–the opioid in Percodan, Percocet and OxyContin.
- Hydromorphone–the opioid in Dilaudid.
- Oxymorphone–the opioid in Opana.
- Meperidine–the opioid in Demerol.
- Morphine–the opioid in MS Contin, Kadian and MSIR.
- Fentanyl–the opioid in Duragesic.
- Tramadol–the opioid in Ultram.
- Methadone–the opioid in Dolophine.
- Buprenorphine–the opioid in Suboxone.
Although not entirely accurate, the terms opiate and narcotic are generally used interchangeably with the term opioid.
The great majority of illicitly used prescription opioids are not obtained from Brighton MI drug dealers. Family and friends are now the greatest source of illicit prescription opioids, and the majority of these opioids are obtained from one physician–not from “doctor shopping”. More than 90% of the world’s opium and heroin supply comes from Afghanistan and Southeast Asia. ‘Black tar’ heroin comes primarily from Mexico. Opioids are the most powerful known pain relievers, sometimes leading to opioid addiction requiring treatment. The use and abuse of opioids dates back to antiquity. The pain relieving and euphoric effects of opioids were known to Sumerians (4000 B.C.) and Egyptians (2000 B.C.).
What Happens When an Opioid is Taken Brighton MI?
When an opioid is taken into the body by any route (by mouth, nasally, smoking or injecting) it enters the blood stream and travels to the brain. When it attaches to an opioid receptor in the brain, our perception of pain is reduced (if we have pain) and we feel sedated. Most Brighton MI people also feel at least a mild pleasurable sensation, or a sense of well-being when opioid receptors are stimulated. Some report feeling more energized or motivated after taking opioids. A few experience unpleasant side effects such as nausea, vomiting or irritability. Unfortunately, those who are prone to develop an opioid addiction seem to experience an intense euphoric or pleasurable feeling when they take an opioid – leading to prolonged dependence requiring opioid addiction treatment.
Opiate Cme in Brighton MI
Substance abuse amongst teenagers is a growing concern. In Troubled Teenagers Determining anding with Hard Issues we go over the indications along with the reasons that teenagers abuse drugs and alcohol.
Similar to any disease, early detection increases the possibility for a full healing and an alcohol and drug complimentary future. Inpatient treatment at an Alcohol and drug Rehab is the initial step to an alcohol and drug free life. The client is provided 24-hour care to keep track of and guarantee a safe withdrawal from drugs.
In addition, they attended lectures, workshops, group therapy and specific counseling to educate them about the physical and mental ramifications of long-lasting drug abuse.
Throughout the duration of treatment, patients are able to take a good hard look at the factors that they have utilized drugs in the past, such as psychological triggers, specific occasions or peer pressure.
Opiate Bowel Dysfunction…Prescribed Painkillers
- Drug Rehab Michigan : We Can Help You, Treatment and ongoing support help you recover from alcohol abuse, heroin/opiate addiction, prescription drug addiction, and other drug addictions!
- Top Michigan Addiction Recovery Centers: Reviews and Ratings Finding the right treatment center for your drug or alcohol addiction can seem daunting, but our reviews and ratings can help you find the right facility for you.
- Drug Rehab Michigan : We Can Help You, Goal Of Our Agency To Provide Excellent Individualized Services To Our Clients !
- Michigan Inpatient Drug Rehab Programs Looking for a great rehab program in Michigan for yourself or someone you love? Rehabs.com specializes in exclusive executive programs and can help you find the clinic that's right for you.
- Drug Rehab Michigan : Find Substance Abuse Treatment Centers!
- Treatment-Centers.net is a public benefit service which provides drug addicts, alcoholics, dual diagnosis sufferers, and individuals suffering from other addictions with the largest publicly rated treatment directory online.
- This is a comprehensive list of all Inpatient Rehab services in MI. Click on a city to see only the Inpatient Rehab in that city. Click on any listing to get detailed information about that Michigan Inpatient Drug Rehab
- Drug Rehab Michigan : We Can Help You, Individual Counseling; Group Therapy; Intensive Outpatient Services ! Valencia Hills Health and Rehab Outpatient Rehab Center Loma Linda