To first understand Dover PA opioid addiction, you must first understand what opioids are. The term opioid refers to any drug or chemical that attaches (like a key fits into a lock) to sites in the brain called opioid receptors. The human body makes its own opioids (called endorphins) but the opioids we are concerned with when we talk about opioid addiction are those that are manufactured in a laboratory or made by plants. For instance, morphine and codeine are found in the extract (the opium) of seeds from the poppy plant, and this opium is processed into heroin. Most prescription painkillers like oxycodone, hydrocodone, and hydromorphone are synthesized in the laboratory. When a person becomes dependent upon these drugs, they need opioid addiction treatment.
What are Common Types of Opioids Dover PA?
Opioids may be prescribed legally by doctors (for pain, cough suppression or opioid dependence) or they may be taken illegally for their mood-altering effects–euphoria, sedation, “to feel better”, or for some, opioids are taken “just to feel normal”. Not everyone who takes an opioid is at risk for dependence requiring opioid addiction treatment, but these drugs are commonly abused.
Examples of prescribed medications that sometimes lead to opioid addiction, but that can also help patients battle other types of substance abuse include:
- Codeine–the opioid in Tylenol #3, Fiorinal or Fiorecet #3, and in some cough syrups.
- Hydrocodone–the opioid in Vicodin, Lortab, and Lorcet.
- Oxycodone–the opioid in Percodan, Percocet and OxyContin.
- Hydromorphone–the opioid in Dilaudid.
- Oxymorphone–the opioid in Opana.
- Meperidine–the opioid in Demerol.
- Morphine–the opioid in MS Contin, Kadian and MSIR.
- Fentanyl–the opioid in Duragesic.
- Tramadol–the opioid in Ultram.
- Methadone–the opioid in Dolophine.
- Buprenorphine–the opioid in Suboxone.
Although not entirely accurate, the terms opiate and narcotic are generally used interchangeably with the term opioid.
The great majority of illicitly used prescription opioids are not obtained from Dover PA drug dealers. Family and friends are now the greatest source of illicit prescription opioids, and the majority of these opioids are obtained from one physician–not from “doctor shopping”. More than 90% of the world’s opium and heroin supply comes from Afghanistan and Southeast Asia. ‘Black tar’ heroin comes primarily from Mexico. Opioids are the most powerful known pain relievers, sometimes leading to opioid addiction requiring treatment. The use and abuse of opioids dates back to antiquity. The pain relieving and euphoric effects of opioids were known to Sumerians (4000 B.C.) and Egyptians (2000 B.C.).
What Happens When an Opioid is Taken Dover PA?
When an opioid is taken into the body by any route (by mouth, nasally, smoking or injecting) it enters the blood stream and travels to the brain. When it attaches to an opioid receptor in the brain, our perception of pain is reduced (if we have pain) and we feel sedated. Most Dover PA people also feel at least a mild pleasurable sensation, or a sense of well-being when opioid receptors are stimulated. Some report feeling more energized or motivated after taking opioids. A few experience unpleasant side effects such as nausea, vomiting or irritability. Unfortunately, those who are prone to develop an opioid addiction seem to experience an intense euphoric or pleasurable feeling when they take an opioid – leading to prolonged dependence requiring opioid addiction treatment.
How Long Do Opiates Stay In Your System in Dover PA
Your teen likewise has to stay away from nightlife and pals, discover to take duty for their actions and options and ways to work in the everyday world.
Typically well-meaning efforts to assist somebody with a drug issue actually empower them to continue their destructive behavior by enabling them to prevent the effects of their actions.
How you can help your teenager in Dover PA:
- Enable them to accept their own duties
- Set clear guidelines and restrictions and impose them
- Motivate your teen to participate in conferences and group counseling
- Exist to pay attention to their problems, fears, and strategies for making it through this time
- Be conscious of and commemorate every success
- 2:37 PM EDT on August 05, 2018
- 7:00 PM EDT on August 06, 2018
Sunday 08/05 20%
Mostly clear. Lows overnight in the upper 60s.
Monday 08/06 10%
Mostly sunny skies. High around 90F. Winds light and variable.
Tuesday 08/07 50%
Chance of a Thunderstorm
Scattered showers and thunderstorms. High 89F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
Wednesday 08/08 60%
Chance of a Thunderstorm
Mostly cloudy early. Scattered thunderstorms developing later in the day. High around 85F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
Thursday 08/09 20%
A few clouds early, otherwise mostly sunny. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. High 84F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
- Pennsylvania Drug Rehab Centers | Bradford Recovery Center's PA Drug Rehab and PA Addiction Treatment Programs. Call NOW for a No-Cost Addiction Assessment.
- Turning Point Treatment Center offers detox & residential treatment programs to help clients and their families recover from alcohol and drug addiction.
- Free yourself from drug or alcohol addiction. Discover treatment options, ways to help, and understand what causes addiction.
- Addiction Recovery Choice helps you find & choose the best drug rehab center for yourself or a loved one, with detailed information on each level of care, therapy types, and common addictions & substance use disorders.
- Resources and information for drug treatment programs, drug rehab centers, NA meetings and AA meetings.
- Retreat Premier Addiction Treatment Centers is a drug and alcohol addiction rehab center located in Palm Beach, Florida and Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Contact our 24/7 addiction helpline center today for more information about our inpatient and outpatient facilities.
- Call 1-800-304-2219. This article gives information on rehabilitation centers for drug & alcohol addiction in Bucks County, Pennsylvania.
- Considering drug rehab for yourself or a loved one? Understand how to choose the best facility including treatment methods, insurance, & payment options.
- We all go through difficult times in our lives, but thankfully, rehab centers are there to help. Checking into a rehabilitation center can literally be a life saving decision.
- Alcohol and drug rehabs for your specific needs. Largest, most comprehensive resource for drug rehab centers on the web.