If you are thinking about finding out about addiction or Dumfries VA treatment, here is what you need to know for the psychiatric assessment. When you visit your Psychiatrist, your psychiatric assessment will take between 45 minutes and 2 hours. The more you prepare before seeing your doctor, the better the results you will get.
It is important to be honest during the interview. I certainly understand patients lying to their physician and I actually expect it to happen. The psychiatric assessment for addiction covers particularly sensitive information. You should know the law has more strict rules for medical record release of psychiatric records. There are severe financial consequences for breaching confidentiality and mental health staff are well aware of this. I usually ask my patients to tell me if they are not prepared to discuss a topic rather than misinforming me. Lying can lead to an incorrect diagnosis and treatment, wasted sessions, and higher cost out of your pocket.
If only Dumfries VA doctors would ask all the questions during a psychiatric assessment… We all know that doctors are pressed for time seeing patients. Unfortunately for many patients, this means only the highlights of the psychiatric assessment are covered and many questions are simply skipped. A complete psychatric assessment could take up to three or four hours. I’ve found that 1 hours with a prepared patient will do a good job. Anything under an hour, and items will be skipped. There is simply too much information. This is where you can help. By reviewing a psychiatric assessment before seeing your doctor, you can help avoid important topics from being overlooked.
The Most Important Item of a Psychiatric Assessment Dumfries VA
An accurate time line of you addiction and other symptoms is the most important item of a psychiatric assessment. Some people call it a good history. When I’ve had a psychiatric resident of a therapist who can give me a clear history of a person’s illness, it is wonderful. The diagnosis becomes obvious. I’ve found it rare for most patients to be able to give a good history. What ends up happening is the doctor or therapist cuts them off during questioning and redirects the conversation. After a while the patient becomes irritable and thinks the professional doesn’t care. If the doctor lets the patient go on, they will not get all the information.
You as a patient or family member can help by thinking about the history of the problem prior to attending the psychiatric assessment. I always ask these questions to all my patients. You would be amazed that people really need to concentrate to answer the questions. Many don’t know. Asking these questions to yourself will help:
- When did the problem first begin?
- When was the last time you were well?
- What symptoms came first?
- What order did they come next?
- Did anything make the problem better or worse?
Setting Goals For Your Dumfries VA Psychiatric Assessment
When patients go to the psychiatrist, many just “want to get better.” One really needs to be specific when thinking about what they mean “getting better.” It could mean having an improved mood. It could mean being able to keep a job. How about getting a good night’s rest? It is important to set some goals in you mind before seeing the doctor.
If you decide what you want to see improved, you will be more likely to stay in treatment. Some feel what their doctor wants is not what they want in treatment. Be very, very specific with you thoughts about goals of treatment. Tell your doctor what you want and review the goals in a month. You can always make more goals so don’t worry about running out of them.
You don’t want to end up in the position after the initial psychiatric assessment that your Dumfries VA doctor says you are doing better and that you disagree. There should be little disagreement. Set a specific goal and measure it. Here are a few examples of specific psychiatric assessment goal setting.
- I will sleep through the night at least 5 days per week by the end of the month.
- I will not have suicidal thoughts for a period of one week
- I will not have cried (for no specific reason) for 5 days
- I will not have used any heroin for 30 days.
- I will keep one job for 6 continuous months
- When I feel the urge to fight with my spouse, I will ask them for a break from the conversation and go outside for ten minutes and take a walk.
These can be measured and will be clear to everyone when they are achieved. Setting goals does not have to be complicated. However, not setting good goals will lead to treatment dissatisfaction and just hopping to another doctor.
Methadone Drug in Dumfries VA
Drug abuse amongst teenagers is a growing issue. In Troubled Teenagers Determining anding with Hard Problems we discuss the signs in addition to the factors why teens abuse alcohol and drugs.
Similar to any disease, early detection increases the opportunity for a complete healing and a drug and alcohol free future. Inpatient treatment at an Alcohol and drug Rehabilitation is the first step to a drug and alcohol free life. The patient is offered 24-hour care to monitor and guarantee a safe withdrawal from drugs.
In addition, they went to lectures, workshops, group treatment and specific counseling to educate them about the psychological and physical ramifications of long-term substance abuse.
During the duration of treatment, patients have the ability to take an excellent difficult appearance at the reasons that they have utilized drugs in the past, such as psychological triggers, particular events or peer pressure.
Opiate Withdrawal…Opioid Addiction Treatment
Monday 08/13 20%
Partly cloudy. Lows overnight in the mid 60s.
Tuesday 08/14 10%
Intervals of clouds and sunshine. High around 85F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.
Wednesday 08/15 10%
Generally sunny despite a few afternoon clouds. High 89F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Thursday 08/16 10%
Sunshine and clouds mixed. High 91F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.
Friday 08/17 50%
Chance of a Thunderstorm
Partly cloudy in the morning followed by scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 91F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
- The Farley Center is a Virginia drug rehab center located in Williamsburg. We offer residential and IOP addiction treatment with an individualized program that begins with detox and provides clients a comprehensive aftercare program once they have graduated the program.
- Sagebrush is a Virginia based Holistic Drug rehab and alcohol treatment center. Find peace at our tranquil rehab facility.
- Find Virginia Alcohol and Drug addiction treatment centers, rehab programs, detox and more. Treatment centers in VA.
- Affordable and effective drug and alcohol addiction residential and outpatient care centers for those struggling with substance abuse in VA and DC. Insurance accepted.
- Find listings of free rehab centers in Virginia. We have listed out all of the cities below in Virginia, where we have found hard to find resources for treatment.
- Addiction Recovery Choice helps you find & choose the best drug rehab center for yourself or a loved one, with detailed information on each level of care, therapy types, and common addictions & substance use disorders.
- Resources and information for drug treatment programs, drug rehab centers, NA meetings and AA meetings.
- Considering drug rehab for yourself or a loved one? Understand how to choose the best facility including treatment methods, insurance, & payment options.
- We all go through difficult times in our lives, but thankfully, rehab centers are there to help. Checking into a rehabilitation center can literally be a life saving decision.
- Alcohol and drug rehabs for your specific needs. Largest, most comprehensive resource for drug rehab centers on the web.