To first understand Elm City NC opioid addiction, you must first understand what opioids are. The term opioid refers to any drug or chemical that attaches (like a key fits into a lock) to sites in the brain called opioid receptors. The human body makes its own opioids (called endorphins) but the opioids we are concerned with when we talk about opioid addiction are those that are manufactured in a laboratory or made by plants. For instance, morphine and codeine are found in the extract (the opium) of seeds from the poppy plant, and this opium is processed into heroin. Most prescription painkillers like oxycodone, hydrocodone, and hydromorphone are synthesized in the laboratory. When a person becomes dependent upon these drugs, they need opioid addiction treatment.
What are Common Types of Opioids Elm City NC?
Opioids may be prescribed legally by doctors (for pain, cough suppression or opioid dependence) or they may be taken illegally for their mood-altering effects–euphoria, sedation, “to feel better”, or for some, opioids are taken “just to feel normal”. Not everyone who takes an opioid is at risk for dependence requiring opioid addiction treatment, but these drugs are commonly abused.
Examples of prescribed medications that sometimes lead to opioid addiction, but that can also help patients battle other types of substance abuse include:
- Codeine–the opioid in Tylenol #3, Fiorinal or Fiorecet #3, and in some cough syrups.
- Hydrocodone–the opioid in Vicodin, Lortab, and Lorcet.
- Oxycodone–the opioid in Percodan, Percocet and OxyContin.
- Hydromorphone–the opioid in Dilaudid.
- Oxymorphone–the opioid in Opana.
- Meperidine–the opioid in Demerol.
- Morphine–the opioid in MS Contin, Kadian and MSIR.
- Fentanyl–the opioid in Duragesic.
- Tramadol–the opioid in Ultram.
- Methadone–the opioid in Dolophine.
- Buprenorphine–the opioid in Suboxone.
Although not entirely accurate, the terms opiate and narcotic are generally used interchangeably with the term opioid.
The great majority of illicitly used prescription opioids are not obtained from Elm City NC drug dealers. Family and friends are now the greatest source of illicit prescription opioids, and the majority of these opioids are obtained from one physician–not from “doctor shopping”. More than 90% of the world’s opium and heroin supply comes from Afghanistan and Southeast Asia. ‘Black tar’ heroin comes primarily from Mexico. Opioids are the most powerful known pain relievers, sometimes leading to opioid addiction requiring treatment. The use and abuse of opioids dates back to antiquity. The pain relieving and euphoric effects of opioids were known to Sumerians (4000 B.C.) and Egyptians (2000 B.C.).
What Happens When an Opioid is Taken Elm City NC?
When an opioid is taken into the body by any route (by mouth, nasally, smoking or injecting) it enters the blood stream and travels to the brain. When it attaches to an opioid receptor in the brain, our perception of pain is reduced (if we have pain) and we feel sedated. Most Elm City NC people also feel at least a mild pleasurable sensation, or a sense of well-being when opioid receptors are stimulated. Some report feeling more energized or motivated after taking opioids. A few experience unpleasant side effects such as nausea, vomiting or irritability. Unfortunately, those who are prone to develop an opioid addiction seem to experience an intense euphoric or pleasurable feeling when they take an opioid – leading to prolonged dependence requiring opioid addiction treatment.
Opiate Overdose Treatment in Elm City NC
No matter how remote your location is, the internet and the yellow pages can offer you with reputable and trusted drug and alcohol rehab. It’s smart utilizing a regional rehabilitation center in order to save your difficult earned cash. There is no reason why you need to leave your area to get treatment for addiction.
Various Clinic and Program Approaches in Elm City NC
There are many alcohol and drug rehabilitation focuses throughout the United States. Sometimes, a client may even choose treatment outside of the nation. Rehab is an extremely emotional and a mental roller rollercoaster that takes every ounce of restraint and focus. It is the responsibility of alcohol and drug rehabilitation focuses to discover the medium and inspiration for each patient to welcome recovery. Each and every person that walks through the door of a center or enters a program is special.
Painkiller Addiction Treatment…Prescribed Painkillers
Friday 08/10 50%
Chance of a Thunderstorm
A few thunderstorms possible. Lows overnight in the low 70s.
Saturday 08/11 80%
Scattered thunderstorms in the morning, then mainly cloudy during the afternoon with thunderstorms likely. High 89F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 80%.
Sunday 08/12 90%
Thunderstorms likely. High 88F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 90%.
Monday 08/13 80%
Thunderstorms likely in the morning. Then the chance of scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon. High around 85F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
Tuesday 08/14 20%
Partly cloudy skies. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. High 88F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.
- Find Holistic Alcohol And Drug Rehab in Lumberton, See Reviews, Ratings and Programs Offered. If you are looking for help, Call (800) 429-7690 Now!
- Find inpatient Drug Rehab in Eden, See Reviews, Ratings and Programs Offered. If you are looking for help, Call (800) 429-7690 Now!
- Affordable North Carolina Substance Abuse Treatment. Footprints in Recovery is a discrete, affordable NC drug and alcohol addiction rehabilitation center located on the spectacular and historic Outer Banks of North Carolina. We offer an exclusive, private 8 bed drug and alcohol rehabilitation center by the beach.
- Addiction Recovery Choice helps you find & choose the best drug rehab center for yourself or a loved one, with detailed information on each level of care, therapy types, and common addictions & substance use disorders.
- Welcome to DrugStrategies.org, a drug and alcohol addiction treatment Website dedicated to providing the very best resources for fighting substance abuse.. Let us help you find drug treatment centers and addiction rehab programs in your town or city.
- South Carolina Free Rehab Centers Free Alcohol, Drug and other Rehab resources in South Carolina. Welcome to our South Carolina help and services page.
- Every great journey begins with the first step. First Step Services LLC is your trusted addiction treatment center in North Carolina. Call us today.
- A private, non-profit treatment center committed to helping people who suffer from alcoholism and drug addiction situated in Greensboro, North Carolina
- Located in Wilmington, NC, we have helped families for 30+ years through our caring & effective residential substance abuse treatment & rehab recovery options.
- Drug rehabilitation, commonly referred to as “drug rehab,” is the process of treatment for dependency on drugs. The purpose of drug rehab is to release a person from the grips of substance abuse.