To first understand Salem CT opioid addiction, you must first understand what opioids are. The term opioid refers to any drug or chemical that attaches (like a key fits into a lock) to sites in the brain called opioid receptors. The human body makes its own opioids (called endorphins) but the opioids we are concerned with when we talk about opioid addiction are those that are manufactured in a laboratory or made by plants. For instance, morphine and codeine are found in the extract (the opium) of seeds from the poppy plant, and this opium is processed into heroin. Most prescription painkillers like oxycodone, hydrocodone, and hydromorphone are synthesized in the laboratory. When a person becomes dependent upon these drugs, they need opioid addiction treatment.
What are Common Types of Opioids Salem CT?
Opioids may be prescribed legally by doctors (for pain, cough suppression or opioid dependence) or they may be taken illegally for their mood-altering effects–euphoria, sedation, “to feel better”, or for some, opioids are taken “just to feel normal”. Not everyone who takes an opioid is at risk for dependence requiring opioid addiction treatment, but these drugs are commonly abused.
Examples of prescribed medications that sometimes lead to opioid addiction, but that can also help patients battle other types of substance abuse include:
- Codeine–the opioid in Tylenol #3, Fiorinal or Fiorecet #3, and in some cough syrups.
- Hydrocodone–the opioid in Vicodin, Lortab, and Lorcet.
- Oxycodone–the opioid in Percodan, Percocet and OxyContin.
- Hydromorphone–the opioid in Dilaudid.
- Oxymorphone–the opioid in Opana.
- Meperidine–the opioid in Demerol.
- Morphine–the opioid in MS Contin, Kadian and MSIR.
- Fentanyl–the opioid in Duragesic.
- Tramadol–the opioid in Ultram.
- Methadone–the opioid in Dolophine.
- Buprenorphine–the opioid in Suboxone.
Although not entirely accurate, the terms opiate and narcotic are generally used interchangeably with the term opioid.
The great majority of illicitly used prescription opioids are not obtained from Salem CT drug dealers. Family and friends are now the greatest source of illicit prescription opioids, and the majority of these opioids are obtained from one physician–not from “doctor shopping”. More than 90% of the world’s opium and heroin supply comes from Afghanistan and Southeast Asia. ‘Black tar’ heroin comes primarily from Mexico. Opioids are the most powerful known pain relievers, sometimes leading to opioid addiction requiring treatment. The use and abuse of opioids dates back to antiquity. The pain relieving and euphoric effects of opioids were known to Sumerians (4000 B.C.) and Egyptians (2000 B.C.).
What Happens When an Opioid is Taken Salem CT?
When an opioid is taken into the body by any route (by mouth, nasally, smoking or injecting) it enters the blood stream and travels to the brain. When it attaches to an opioid receptor in the brain, our perception of pain is reduced (if we have pain) and we feel sedated. Most Salem CT people also feel at least a mild pleasurable sensation, or a sense of well-being when opioid receptors are stimulated. Some report feeling more energized or motivated after taking opioids. A few experience unpleasant side effects such as nausea, vomiting or irritability. Unfortunately, those who are prone to develop an opioid addiction seem to experience an intense euphoric or pleasurable feeling when they take an opioid – leading to prolonged dependence requiring opioid addiction treatment.
Opiate Addiction Treatment Centers in Salem CT
Drug abuse among teenagers is a growing concern. In Troubled Teens Determining anding with Difficult Problems we talk about the indications in addition to the reasons teenagers abuse drugs and alcohol.
Similar to any disease, early detection increases the opportunity for a complete recovery and a drug and alcohol free future. Inpatient treatment at a Drug and Alcohol Rehab is the primary step to an alcohol and drug free life. The client is offered 24-hour care to keep an eye on and ensure a safe withdrawal from drugs.
In addition, they participated in lectures, workshops, group treatment and individual therapy to inform them about the physical and psychological implications of long-lasting compound abuse.
Throughout the duration of treatment, patients are able to take a great hard take a look at the factors that they have utilized drugs in the past, such as emotional triggers, specific occasions or peer pressure.
Opioid Addiction Treatment…Opiate Withdrawal
Monday 01/14 0%
Clear. Lows overnight in the upper teens.
Tuesday 01/15 0%
Except for a few afternoon clouds, mainly sunny. High 37F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Wednesday 01/16 10%
Generally sunny despite a few afternoon clouds. High near 40F. Winds W at 10 to 15 mph.
Thursday 01/17 0%
Partly cloudy skies during the morning hours will become overcast in the afternoon. High 31F. Winds light and variable.
Friday 01/18 90%
Cloudy with occasional rain...mainly in the morning. High near 40F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 90%.
- Are you searching for a drug rehab or treatment center? Our counselors can help you learn more about drug and alcohol rehabilitation and locate the right rehab
- Welcome to DrugStrategies.org, a drug and alcohol addiction treatment Website dedicated to providing the very best resources for fighting substance abuse.. Let us help you find drug treatment centers and addiction rehab programs in your town or city.
- This is a comprehensive list of all Inpatient Rehab services in CT. Click on a city to see only the Inpatient Rehab in that city. Click on any listing to get detailed information about that Connecticut Inpatient Drug Rehab
- Find the best drug rehab and alcohol treatment facility in Florida. Locating the right center will improve recovery success.
- Stop substance abuse and addiction today. With the help of the dedicated team and holistic approach at Rehab Centers. You can fill out the form below or just call 800-481-6320 for help
- Georgia Christian drug and alcohol rehabilitation services information: Here at Christian Drug Rehab .org we help people locate Christian based treatment facilities.
- Find a rehab based on your drug, location and needs. Addiction Center provides info on addiction, treatment and recovery. Learn more about signs, symptoms, and withdrawal on each drug and get connected with professional who care to help with addiction.
- Why Couples Drug Rehab? Healing together as a couple is an excellent way to help treat drug or alcohol addiction. With both partners participating in a couples rehab program they each will have the best chance to succeed in recovery, and help build support for sobriety for each other.
- Decision Point Center provides modern detox & rehab treatments for drug & alcohol in Arizona. We provide patients with the skills they need to manage and recover from addiction.
- Addiction Resource connects those fighting addiction with rehab centers and treatment. Find free help, advice and information on treatment centers.